ARC of Rockland's residence managers face a variety of challenges in providing save environments for people with developmental disabilities.
"Each Resident manager is charged with making an ARC house into a home," ARC of Rockland Executive Director Karyl Caplan said. "As we know, a home is far more than rooms with furnishings.
"We count on them to display their authority and capability under the best and worst of circumstances. We expect them to be consistent, always on their toes."
To honor the way they handle those changes, the ARC of Rockland presented its 2013 Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Awards to its 28 residence managers Friday in an event that had been postponed due to snow Jan. 16.
"Dr. King spent his lifetime advocating for equal rights, equal justice and equal opportunity for all people," Caplan said. "This year rather tha single out just a few worthy individuals for this honor, we decided we would honor a group of some very exceptional men and women who are very important part of ARC. For the 28 residents managers are here with us today. They, thankfullyl for all of us, have chosen careers that truly emulate the attributes of Dr. King. I am very proud we are all here today to honor them."
The ARC of Rockland offers assistance for people with developmental disabilities and their families. Housing is just one of the services offered.
The 2013 Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Award recipients are:
- Arlene Newland (Monsey)
- Altreisha Shoneye (Pomona)
- Sylvie Ringuet (Monsey)
- Andrea Remy (Spring Valley)
- Florence Okombo (Middletown)
- Shirley Tankashan (Bergenfield, NJ)
- Sue Bencivenga (Spring Valley)
- Lodeen Wellington (Spring Valley)
- Carol Fiorillo (Cornwall)
- Maura Blake (Orangeburg)
- Alicia Noel (New City)
- Basil Aaron (Pomona)
- Tonja Willis (Spring Valley)
- Beatrice Laurien-Honorius (Monsey)
- Zendora Armstrong (Garnerville)
- Miraline Rivera (Yonkers)
- Violet Ann Pflugbeil (Nyack)
- Tracy Grimsley (Middletown)
- James Legerme (South Nyack)
- Alicia Chambers-Brown (Spring Valley)
- Erin Monahan (Ft. Montgomery)
- Gloria Key (Spring Valley)
- Dorothy Francois (Spring Valley)
- Alice Anderson (Spring Valley)
- Lillian Wolk (Stony Point)
- Jason Hopper (Congers)
- Janice Vincenzo (Newburgh)
- Christine Welch (Nyack)