Each week, we'll give you the info on the best family activities or events for the week.
You're time-pressed enough, so we're happy to do the research and find the best things to do and places to go, both locally and within reasonable striking distance.
Look for the kids' planner each Wednesday, and help us build the planner with your own suggestions and tips‚ just add them to the comment box. We want to hear from you!
Meet Curious George
- When/Where: Friday, Feb. 8 at 7 p.m. and Saturday, Feb. 2 at 11 a.m. at the Barnes & Noble at the Palisades Center
- Why Go: Meet Curious George and join us for stories about this curious little monkey and his adventures. Don't forget your camera.
- Cost/Contact: Free / http://store-locator.barnesandnoble.com/store/2905
- When/Where: Sunday, Feb. 10 from 1 to 3:30 p.m./ JCC of Rockland, 450 W Nyack Rd, West Nyack
- Why Go: Don’t miss JCC Rockland’s 18th annual Purim Carnival. Lots of fun for the entire family including game booths, a bounce house and other inflatables, arts ‘n crafts, ball pit, clowns, face painting, prizes, and treats!
- Cost/Contact: $25 per family/845-362-4400
- When/Where: Friday, Feb. 8, doors open at 6 p.m. show from 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m./Link Elementary School, 51 Red Hill Rd, New City
- Why Go: The Bossy Frog Band plays a combination of rock, country, bluegrass, reggae and folk music on guitar, banjo, harmonica, and saxophone. The funny original songs about nature, animals and the environment encourage audience interaction and appeal especially to children ages 1 to 8. Free Bossy Frog CD's to the first 25 families registered. Don't forget to wear your PJs & bring a blanket for sitting!
- Cost/Contact: $10 in advance, $12 at the door/845-639-5619 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. For advance tickets make checks payable to Clarkstown Family Resource Center and mail to 60 Crestwood Drive, New City, NY 10956
- When/Where: Saturday, Feb. 9 from 7 to 8 p.m./Clarkstown High School South Auditorium, 31 Demarest Mill Rd, West Nyack
- Why Go: South Alumni Cristina & Robert Farruggia will be putting on an hour musical tale of growing up and working in show business to benefit the Clarkstown South Music Parent's Association.
- Cost/Contact: All Seats $15. Buy your tickets at the door!/Questions or to RSVP call Meryl Barkin at 845-627-2658 or email email@example.com.
Arts and Craft Buy and Decorate
- When/Where: 1-3 p.m. on Saturday, Feb. 9 at A.C. Moore
- Why Go: Come and buy a plastic treat tube and decorate with new Duck Tape Designs for free
- Cost/Contact: Cost of a treat tube / A.C. Moore
Arts and Craft Demonstration
- When/Where: 1-3 p.m. on Sunday, Feb. 10 at A.C. Moore
- Why Go: Come watch a demonstration on Make & Mold Marshmallow filled candy hearts
- Cost/Contact: Free / A.C. Moore
Visit a Museum
- When/Where: Anytime
- Why Go: Most libraries offer passes to area museums to their library patrons. The Friends of the Nanuet Library have recently added a family pass to the New York City Police Museum. Contact your library to find out which museums they have passes to
- Cost/Contact: Free / your library
Pearl River Teen Library Council Meeting
- When/Where: Wednesday, Feb. 6 from 4 p.m. to 5 p.m. at Pearl River Public Library
- Why Go: For teens entering grades seven through 12. Participants help select materials for the library and plan upcoming activities.
- Cost/Contact: Contact Christina Linder at (845) 735-4084
- When/Where: Tuesdays from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. in the Pearl River Public Library Storytime Room.
- Why Go: Teen volunteers will be available to help children in Kindergarten through fifth grade with their school work. No registration required. Just show up and bring your work.
- Cost/Contact: Free/For more information contact Christina Linder or Pamela Gunning at (845) 735-4084.
- When/Where: Sundays at Pearl River High School. Began Jan. 13. Buddies arrive at 9:45 a.m. and players come at 10 a.m.
- Why Go: Athletes from ages three to 21 with developmental disabilities can learn basketball and social skills while working with non-disabled peers known as buddies. The buddies get the opportunity to help others in an athletic environment. They can also fulfill volunteer hours if needed. Buddyball is part of the Orangetown Mighty Midgets, drawing players and buddies from Orangetown and surrounding communities.
- Cost/Contact: $45 for players. Free for buddies. Players must pre-register. Buddies register on site. For more information, go to http://www.buddyballsports.org/.