Each week, we'll give you the info on the best family activities or events for the week.
You're time-pressed enough, so we're happy to do the research and find the best things to do and places to go, both locally and within reasonable striking distance.
Look for the kids' planner each Wednesday, and help us build the planner with your own suggestions and tips‚ just add them to the comment box. We want to hear from you.
- When/Where: Friday, .Dec. 7 starting 7 p.m. at Braunsdorf Park in Pearl River
- Why Go: The Rotary Club’s annual holiday celebration includes caroling, hot chocolate and visits from Santa Claus and other friends the kids will enjoy seeing. The holiday entertainment and caroling begins at 7 p.m, with Santa’s sleigh and workshop arriving at 7:30. In addition to hot chocolate, there will be mulled cider and cookies.
- Cost/Contact: No fee, but bring a new, unwrapped to to help the Rotary Club of Pearl River support children in need.
Menora Lighting in Braunsdorf Park
- When/Where: 6 p.m. Dec. 11 in Pearl River’s Braunsdorf Park
- Why Go: Share in singing and food during this half hour celebration of the Jewish tradition.
- Cost/Contact: Free. http://www.bethamtemple.org/
- When/Where: Tuesdays from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. in the Pearl River Public Library Storytime Room.
- Why Go: Teen volunteers will be available to help children in Kindergarten through fifth grade with their school work. No registration required. Just show up and bring your work.
- Cost/Contact: Free/For more information contact Christina Linder or Pamela Gunning at (845) 735-4084.
Pearl River Elks Hoop Shoot
- When/Where: Friday, Dec. 7 at Highview Elementary School, Registration begins at 6:00 PM with the contest starting at 6:30 PM sharp.
- Why Go: The Pearl River Elks annual “HOOP SHOOT” free throw shooting contest. All boys and girls in Clarkstown, Orangetown, and Ramapo can participate. Eligibility for the Hoop Shoot is determined by the age that the contestant will be on April 1, 2013. Proof of age is required. The age categories are 8 & 9, 10 & 11, 12 & 13. Each contestant has 25 attempts to make a basket from the free throw line. The boy and girl in each age group with the best score advances to compete in the NYS Elks South District contest.
- Cost/Contact: For more information please contact Vincent Pacella at email@example.com or (845) 406-0570. You can also visit the “Elks Hoop Shoot” web site at www.elks.org/hoopshoot
Nyack Community Chanukah Menorah Lighting
- When/Where: Saturday, Dec 8 at 6:30 p.m. at Veterans Memorial Park – Main Street in Nyack
- Why Go: There will be a Giant Menorah Lighting, Music, Dreidels, Chocolate Gelt, Doughnuts, Hot Cider
- Cost/Contact: Free / Call: 845-356-6686 or Email: info@ChabadJEC.org For more information, for Chanukah supplies or to have a Chabad volunteer visit your loved one in a hospital or senior residence during Chanukah
- WhenWhere: Friday, December 7 at 7 p.m./721 W Nyack Rd, West Nyack
- Why Go: For over 20 years the Rotary Club of West Nyack has sponsored an annual Tree Lighting Ceremony to usher in the holiday season for the Clarkstown Community. This event will be held at the West Nyack Hamlet Green Park, opposite the West Nyack Post Office. The rain/snow date is Monday, December 10, 2012, same time, same place. Students from Strawtown Elementary School as well as students from West Nyack Elementary School will sing seasonal songs. The Rotary Club will provide hot chocolate and munchkins. Santa will arrive via fire truck at the end of the festivities. There will be a fire pit to ward off the winter chill.
- Cost/Contact: Free
- When/Where: Sunday, December 9 from 1 to 5 p.m./34 Kings Hwy, Congers
- Why Go: Join us for an afternoon of ONE-STOP SHOPPING in time for the gift-giving season! Unique items by local vendors will be on sale along with freshly baked goods, hot cocoa, and popcorn. Children can enjoy fun, inexpensive "sleigh rides," holiday face painting, and craft activities while you shop, and you can even get your gifts wrapped or sit for a family portrait. Check many things off your "to-do" list in one relaxing afternoon with fun for the kids.
- Cost/Contact: Free admission/ firstname.lastname@example.org
Week-Long Benefit for REbuild Hi-Tor Animal Care Center at The Dog House Restaurant
- When/Where: Dec. 2 - 8 at The Dog House & More Restuarant in Nanuet
- Why Go: Got animal lovers in the family? For the entire week, December 2-8, The Dog House in Nanuet will also offer all customers a chance to donate by their mentioning and bringing in a coupon for Rebuild. They will donate 10% of all coupon revenue they get that week to the effort.
- Cost/Contact: The Dog House & More / The coupon can be found here
Polar Express Storytime
- When/Where: Friday Dec 7 at 7 p.m. at Barnes & Noble at the Palisades Center.
- Why Go: Join us for a heartwarming holiday tradition, our Polar Express Storytime. The evening will include holiday treats and activities.
- Cost/Contact: Free / Barnes & Noble
- When/Where: Saturday December 8 at 11 AM at Barnes & Noble at the Palisades Center
- Why Go: Ever wonder how Santa knows who's naughty or nice? Join us for The Elf on the Shelf Storytime, and we'll fill you in on this holiday secret. Activities, treats and the chance to adopt your own elf included!.
- Cost/Contact: Free / Barnes & Noble