Orangetown Police discovered Dec. 24 that someone spray painted the face of the baby Jesus statue in Pearl River's community crèche in Braunsdorf Park.
Patch looked into the history of the crèche, including recent incidents of attempted theft and vandalism, and what may be done to prevent further incidents.
That was just one of the stories Pearl River Patch brought to you this past week.
- Pearl River Middle School staff and students joined the nationwide Snowflakes for Sandy Hook effort to decorate the new school building for students from Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, CT.
- The Pearl River Athletic Department showed off the newly renovated wrestling room at Pearl River High School, complete with state-of-the-art technology and training equipment.
- North Rockland won the team title at the Michael O'Connell Wrestling Tournament Friday at Pearl River High School. John Muldoon of Pearl River earned most outstanding wrestler in the lower weight classes for the second consecutive year.
- Kayla Clohessy and Amanda Moroney won individual events for the Pirates at the Pearl River Holiday Indoor Track and Field Festival Dec. 27 at RCC.
- Assemblywoman Ellen Jaffee (D-Suffern) joined with 62 other New York State legislators in signing a letter to state Senate and Assembly leadership urging them to adopt a plan to designed to reduce gun violence.
- Orange & Rockland Utilities sent an insert in its customers' bills explaining the process of restoring power after Hurricane Sandy and comparing it to Tropical Storm Irene and the late-October snowstorm of 2011.
- for Rockland and Westchester Counties and announced it has approved $813 million in individual aid to people in New York State.
- Clarkstown Police identified . According to police, surveillance video shows her sitting on a fourth-floor railing and pushing herself off.
- According to Orangetown Police, 46-year-old Orlando Florez of Nyack was found dead Christmas Eve in Nyack's Memorial Park. Florez was homeless.