Each week, we'll give you the info on the best family activities or events for the week.
You're time-pressed enough, so we're happy to do the research and find the best things to do and places to go, both locally and within reasonable striking distance.
Look for the kids' planner each Wednesday, and help us build the planner with your own suggestions and tips — just add them to the comment box. We want to hear from you.
Rockland County March of Dimes March for Babies
- When/Where: Blue Hill Plaza in Pearl River. Registration begins at 8:30 a.m. with the walk at 10 a.m. Sunday.
- Why Go: Get some exercise with the five-mile walk and support the efforts of the March of Dimes to ensure that more babies are born healthy and get the care they need. There will be family-friendly activities during registration and after the walk, includin a bounce house, food and music.
- Cost/Contact: To register or get more information, go to www.marchforbabies.org
- When/Where: Friday, May 3 from 3:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. at Pearl River Public Library
- Why Go: The monthly boys reading group mixes the words on the page with technology, involving computer activities, music, digital photography and online writing prompts to engage boys in grades four through six.
- Cost/Contact: Free with registration. Contact Pamela Gunning at (845) 735-4084
- When/Where: Monday, May 6 from 11 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. at Pearl River Public Library
- Why Go: This is a make up of a session in April that was cancelled. For children under two accompanied by an adult. Help engage children in the library early with stories, songs and bubbles with Miss Sarah.
- Cost/Contact: No registration necessary/Contact Pamela Gunning at (845) 735-4084
Iron Man 3 Arrives IMAX Palisades Center, AMC Loews
- When/Where: Iron Man marathon begins 1 p.m. Thursday, May 2. Showings of Iron Man 3 begin 9 p.m.
- Why Go: Tony Stark is back, fighting in and out of the Iron Man armor, for the first time since events of Marvel’s The Avengers. The AMC Loews at Palisades Center will be playing an Iron Man marathon starting at 1 p.m., with Iron Man 2 at 3:30 p.m., The Avengers at 6 p.m. and Iron Man 3 in 3D at 9 p.m. The first showing of the movie at the IMAX Palisades Center is also at 9 p.m.
- Cost/Contact: $30 for Thursday’s Iron Man marathon. For Iron Man 3 alone, adult tickets are $12 for a regular showing, $16 for 3D and $19 for IMAX./www.amctheaters.com
- When/Where: Saturday, May 4 starting at 6 p.m. in Grace Episcopal Church Nyack’s parish hall.
- Why Go: Amazing Grace Circus performers including comedians, singers, acrobats, trapeze artists, jugglers and musicians will perform for two hours as a four-course meal is served. Money raised goes to Amazing Grace Circus’s Kidz2Camp Scholarship Program. An iPad Mini will be raffled off and there will be a silent auction.
- Cost/Contact: Sponsor tickets $50/Call Chef Carlo at (845) 721-5059 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Patriot Game Day - Adopt-A-Platoon
- When/Where: Saturday, May 4 from 9 a.m.- 9 p.m./Clarkstown High School South, 31 Demarest Mill Rd, West Nyack
- Why Go: A full day of lacrosse starts with the Clarkstown Patriots Youth Lacrosse games followed by Nyack HS vs. Clarkstown South HS JV and Varsity Girls and Boys Lacrosse Games. The “Adopt-A-Platoon” program representatives will be present during the day to accept donations to help our US armed forces active duty men and women serving overseas. The Nyack and Clarkstown South high school players will be at the fields collecting donated items during the day. Please bring individually wrapped personal items during any of the games; snacks, games, light reading material, personal hygiene products, dry drink mixes or any other small items you can think of!
- Cost/Contact: Freeemail@example.com
Free Soccer Clinic
- When/Where: Saturday, May 4 from 10 a.m.- 12: 30p.m./Kennedy Dells Park, 355 N Main St, New City
- Why Go: Soccer Clinic for U12 and U14 Girls!
- Cost/Contact: Free/http://www.ClarkstownSC.org
New City Street Fair
- When/Where: Sunday, May 5 10 a.m. to 5 p.m./Rockland County Courts, 1 S Main St, New City
- Why Go: Entertainment, Rides, Games, Bounce Houses, Food, Vendors, Arts & Crafts & Live Music by The Bel-Aires Doo Wop group, DJ Luigi, variety performer, stilt walker AND balloon sculptor. Live Music Featuring Cover band KATY PERRY and Cover band CARLY RAE JEPSON for 1 hr concert with an 1 hr meet and greet photo shoot afterward.
- Cost/Contact: Free/http://newcitychamber.com/
- When/Where: Saturday, May 4 from 5 to 10 p.m./Nanuet Senior High School, 103 Church St, Nanuet
- Why Go: The India Cultural Society of Rockland (ICSR) is a non-profit organization representing over 500 families of Indian origin in the county of Rockland.Every year we celebrate a Cultural Day at which children ages 4-18, enthusiastically participate and showcase India’s rich culture in song and dance. This year we have a vibrant program with 20 performances, ranging from classical to traditional to contemporary. The program is open to all and we expect an audience of around 600, including invitees.
- Cost/Contact: Free/http://www.icsronline.net
Tricks Magic & Me: Magic Show at RCC
- When/Where: Thursday, May 2 at 12:30 and 7 p.m./Rockland Community College, 145 College Rd, Suffern
- Why Go: Brendan King, a local teen college student at Rockland Community College, is making magic! Brendan will be performing his half hour long show Tricks Magic & Me, which has received rave reviews, as a fundraiser for the RCC Performing Arts Department. The show will be 12:45 PM (with a little bit of close up magic thrown in for fun between 12:30 and 12:45) and also at 7:00 PM in the Black Box Theatre of the Performing Arts Department.
- Cost/Contact: $5/http://MonarchMagic.org/