Time is running out to get your child registered for a summer camp. Rockland County offers plenty of options, from town camps in Nyack, Clarkstown and Orangetown to privately-owned ones all over the area.
The following is a look at some of the options.
- 667 Blauvelt Road in Pearl River
- The 92nd Street Y offers a multiple camps from ages 3-17. Camp Yomi is split into groups for Kindergarten through fourth grade and the Yomi Seniors for grades five through seven, both at the Henry Kaufmann Campgrounds in Pearl River. In addition to campers coming in from New York City, Rockland residents can drop their children off at the New City JCC or Pearl River Lanes. Children also learn about Jewish heritage.
- Offers a mix of athletic and artistic activities, including swimming, with special activities scheduled throughout the summer. Children bring their lunches and towels.
- 175 W. Clarkstown Road in New City - 845-356-5005
- Accepts campers ages three through 15
- Family-owned, sports-oriented camp known for its climbing tower. Includes all-sports programs. Features very small groups.
Gate Hill Day Camp - 750 Gate Hill Road in Stony Point - 845 947 3223
- Family-run camp takes children as young as three and up through ninth grade, with a LIT program for 10th graders.
- Offers a strong athletic program, art and nature-related activities -- mixing specialists who run specific activities and counselors who are with their group all day. Campers swim twice per day. Special activities such as Gate Hill Olympics, Ga-Ga Madness and late stays are spread throughout the eight-week program.
- Cost of camp includes towel service, transportation, lunch and snacks.
Christian Herald Road in Upper Nyack - 845-358-6240
- Accepts children from entering Kindergarten through eighth grade.
- Provides a religious and educational focus, calling itself "the camping arm of Conservative Judiasm." Also includes traditional camping activities including art, nature, swimming and other athletic activities. Also offers optional sports clinics.
- 420 Phillips Hill Road in New City - 845-638-0700
- Accepts campers starting at age through through ninth grade, with a CIT program for 10th graders.
- Family-owned camp features bumper cars, a water park and a lake for fishing as well as arts and crafts, boating and sports. Includes special events such as Woodlympics, carnivals and concerts.
- Lunch and transportation are included in the cost of camp.
Amazing Grace Circus Camp -
- And now for something completely different, this camp specializes in entertaining kids and encouraging them to get healthy as they learn skills used in a circus including juggling, acrobatics, walking a high wire and clown routines.
- Not a full-summer camp. Offers a two-week session for ages 7-14 and three or five-day options for kids ages 5-7.