Nadell was found dead the morning of Jan. 25 by her daughter, Susanne Scaccio. She had been stabbed.
Clarkstown police said at the time they were working from "a strong possibility" that Nadell knew her killer.
Now Diana Nadell, mother of two, is accused of conspiring to kill her mother-in-law with three women half her age. The plot spanned the country, as Diana Nadell lives in Florida and her alleged co-conspirators are residents of Washington, D.C. and California.
Peggy Nadell was a longtime member of the Rockland County Democratic Committee. Born on October 11, 1933 in Brooklyn to Libby and Samuel Wekselblatt, she married Robert Nadell who died in 2003. Nadell is survived by her son James and daughter-in-law Diana Nadell, daughter Susanne and son-in-law Robert Scaccio; and grandchildren Leah and Harris Nadell.
The investigation generated much interest and controversy in Rockland County, including a clash between Clarkstown Police Chief Michael Sullivan and Clarkstown Town Justice Howard Gerber.
Here's the police department's May 21 statement:
The Clarkstown Police Department arrested 4 individuals in connection with the January 25, 2014 homicide of Peggy Nadell, 80, of Valley Cottage.
The following individuals were arrested based on a 4-month investigation that spanned multiple states and included numerous Law Enforcement Agencies.
- Diana Nadell - Age 50 - of Cutler Bay, Florida. Diana is the daughter-in-law of the victim Peggy Nadell. Diana Nadell is charged with Murder in the second degree, and Conspiracy to commit murder in the second degree.
- Andrea Benson – Age 25 – of Washington D.C. Andrea Benson is charged with Murder in the second degree, and Conspiracy to commit murder in the second degree.
- Tanisha Joyner – Age 26 – of Washington D.C. Tanisha Joyner is charged with Conspiracy to commit murder in the second degree.
- Elita Grant – Age 24 – of East Long Beach, California. Elita Grant is charged with Conspiracy to commit murder in the second degree.
The 4 arrestees are presently in custody and awaiting extradition to New York.
The following Law Enforcement Agencies have greatly assisted the men and women of the Clarkstown Police Department Detective Bureau in this extensive investigation:
• Rockland County District Attorney Office
• United States Marshal Service
• Federal Bureau of Investigation
• Westchester County Intelligence Unit
• Homestead, Florida Police Department
• Washington, D.C. Metro Police Department
• Prince George County, Maryland Police Department
• Long Beach, California Police Department
• Seal Beach, California Police Department.
The investigation into this senseless crime is still ongoing and any new information or developments will be released when appropriate.