July in Pearl River, as they have every year since 1979.
The man who first organized the display and continued to run the show until 2011, Ennio Munno, received the Al Carpentieri Community Service Award posthumously Wednesday night, shortly before hundreds of residents watched the 30-minute fireworks exhibition.
That was just one of the stories we followed on Pearl River Patch over the past week.
- Temperatures in the mid-to-upper 90s brought notifications of Summer Heat Watches by Orange & Rockland Utilities late last week. That meant O&R was focusing on emergency services and asked residents to conserve where they can due to projected high demands for power. The Rockland County Department of Health also sent out its most air quality advisory for Saturday.
- Students with the Mac Albus Shukokai Karate Center in Pearl River prepared for the Kimura Shukokai International World Tournament July 10-12 in the Taj Mahal Hotel & Casino in Atlantic City, NJ. The local dojo will be sending 27 students to the event. Members of the local contingent are invited to share their pictures on Pearl River Patch.
- According to Clarkstown Police, Frank Kapiti, 47, of Pearl River was arrested after leading police on a high-speed chase along Route 304 in New City. Felony drunken driving and resisting arrest are among the charges he faces.
- Pat Gorman of Pearl River pitched for the Irish National Baseball Team against the Fire Department of New York (FDNY) team Saturday at Provident Bank Park before the Rockland Boulders' home game against Quebec.
- The District 18 Champion Pearl River 12-U Softball All-Stars' run came to an end with a 4-2 loss to Middletown July 4 in the Section 4 Tournament.
- Pearl River rising junior forward Kevin Degnan made the Section 1 team for the second annual Basketball Coaches Association of New York Summer Hoops Festival, which will take place in August at Johnson City High School outside of Binghamton.
The group from Pearl River headed to the Shukokai Karate World Tournament is just one of the events coming up this week. Check back with Pearl River Patch for more on these local happenings.
- The Pearl River School District Board of Education will hold its annual reorganizational meeting July 10 at the district administration building.
- The Rockland County Gaelic Athletic Association's Robert McKiernan Memorial Field Day is set for July 14 from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- The Kayser-Brady Memorial Tournament will begin with opening ceremonies July 15 at 9:45 a.m. at Pearl River Little League's Anderson Field Complex in Orangeburg.