A in Pearl River Friday, giving him fatal crush injuries.
Workers were transferring large crates of equipment from one truck to another when one of the lift gates they were using partially collapsed. Orangetown Police were able to help free the man. Pearl River Ambulance took him to Nyack Hospital, where he was pronounced dead later in the day.
- Members of the community formed the Pearl River Educational Foundation, which will raise money to help support programs that fall outside of the Pearl River School District budget.
- During a board of education meeting last week, Pearl River School District Superintendent Dr. John Morgano said he will continue to make enforcing the district's policies restricting the presence of animals on school grounds a priority in light of recent incidents with students being bitten by dogs. At the same meeting, the board of education heard about Pearl River Hook and Ladder's request to add an aboveground diesel fuel storage tank. It must go through them because it is on district property.
- Orangetown Highway Superintendent Jim Dean is the spokesman for highway superintendents across the state who jointly filed a lawsuit against the Town of Clarkstown for what they claim is a move that would undercut the authority needed to do their jobs. Clarkstown took control of the mechanics working on highway vehicles away from its highway superintendent, Wayne Ballard.
- A bipartisan group in the Rockland County Legislature proposed returning the expense of paying college chargebacks to the county after it was pushed onto the towns earlier this year. A similar move was just part of a plan previously suggested by another group of legislators calling for a more extensive reform of the college chargebacks.
- County legislators continued to work on the . A discussion of this year's Election Day issues was also part of a busy week for county legislators.
- Candidates for the Rockland County Executive's job continued to emerge last week with Democrat David Fried with Democrat Suffern Mayor Dagan Lacorte, Democrat County Legislator Ilan Schoenberger and Republican Legislator Ed Day in the race.
- The South Orangetown Rotary Club teamed with Orange & Rockland Utilities to provide dictionaries for every third grade student at Tappan Zee Elementary School.
- Orangetown police arrested Sergio Ambrosi and Daisy Chaves after a domestic dispute in Tappan Saturday.
- Alex Bruen of West Nyack organized Troop to Troops, a Boy Scout life project collecting and sending items to a unit based out of Orangeburg currently stationed in Afghanistan.
- Former local high school athletes are making an impact on the college level. Former Pearl River star guards Luke Houston and Nicole Grossbard are starting for their respective basketball teams at Southern Connecticut State. Freshman Francesca Cobuzzi of Pearl River became a starter in goal for the Muhlenberg women's soccer team. K.C. Jentzen of Pearl River is the top scorer and rebounder for the Dominican College women's basketball team.
- For more on , including the Pearl River High School ice hockey team's season-opening loss to Horace Greeley.