Mel Liebmann recently sold Mel's Army-Navy Center, the store he has run since he opened it on S. Williams Street in Pearl River in 1955.
Patch brought you Liebmann's thoughts on the store and his year's there and new owner Chris Frawley's plans to keep the tradition going in
That was just one of the stories on Pearl River Patch over the past week. In case you missed any, some others included:
- The brings support to people suffering from the disease and their families. Two local events this fall play a part in that, including the candle lighting ceremony at Central Ave. Field in Pearl River Sunday night. .
- at the 7th Annual Rob Breen Cross Country Invitational at Clove Lake State Park in Staten Island Saturday.
- The . The Pirates rallied to pull within one after Eric Corcoran's 59-yard touchdown run, but the Garnets pulled away late.
- The Pearl River boys soccer team opened its season with a . The Pirates are now 2-1, with a loss to North Rockland and Saturday's 4-3 decision against East Ramapo.
- The Thursday for its first victory of the season, improving the Pirates' mark to 1-1 so far.
- We continued to preseason fall sports previews with the , which opened its season with a .
- The plans continue to move forward for the , which involves the replacement of sidewalks on Central Ave. and Main St.
- The planning of the 2013 budget continues to dominate much of the discussion with the Orangetown Town Board as the town's department heads made presentations and .