Pearl River High School held its 106th commencement ceremony despite temperatures in the upper 90s June 21.
That was just one of the major stories of the past week in Pearl River:
- Pearl River Schools wrapped up the 2011-12 school year with the final day of classes Friday. In addition to the high school graduation Thursday, Pearl River Middle School seventh graders and fourth graders at Lincoln Avenue, Franklin Avenue and Evans Park Elementary Schools celebrated their advancement to the next level of their education.
- The organizers of the Orangetown Relay for Life announced that the American Cancer Society fundraiser brought in approximately $36,000.
- During a Pearl River School District Board of Education meeting, the district honored a group of students for their accomplishments in athletics and the arts. At the same meeting, Superintendent of Schools Dr. John Morgano and Board of Education President Michael Clohessy addressed recent vandalism Pearl River High School. Morgano said the cost of cleaning up the damage could go as high as $10,000.
- The Pearl River Park and Activity, which puts on the annual Fourth of July fireworks, announced a fundraising carnival June 28-July 1.
- Pearl River High School science teacher Eileen McCaffrey won a Dr. Helmy El-Sherif Teacher to Harvard Award.
- The Pearl River 12-year-old softball all-stars as they opened with a 5-2 victory over New City Thursday at the Anderson Field Complex in Orangeburg. They followed that with an 11-0 victory over South Orangetown Saturday.
- An Orangetown Police Department investigation led to a search of Pearl River near the train station, which led to a halt of NJ Transit traffic on the Pascack Valley Line late Friday evening.
- The National Fastpitch Coaches Association named Pearl River sophomore shortstop Sam Alicandri second-team East All-Region Thursday. Alicandri and teammate Mandy McCarthy were named third-team all-state by the New York State Sporstwriter's Association.