Evans Park Elementary School Students took part in Keep Rockland Beautiful's Earth B.E.A.T. (Basic Environmental Awareness Training) for two days last week.
Earth BEAT is an environmental education program designed for students in elementary and middle school. This is the second two-day, school-wide event at Evans Park.
Students took part in eight Eco-Stations such as:
- Everybody Lives Downstream from Someone - role playing as species of animal that encounter pollution
- Energy Bike - students pedal to provide power for lights
- Enviroscape - students use a tabletop watershed model to explore the impact of human activity and runoff on waterways.
- Lavacore Special - An imaginary shoping trip to the supermarket designed to help students learn the benefit of buying locally
- Garbage Relay - Students race to properly dispose of garbage
- Web of Life - Demonstrates the interdependence of species within an ecosystem using a ball of string and photographs of wildlife.