The Pearl River School District will most likely wait until Sunday to announce if schools will reopen Monday. They were closed all week due to Hurricane Sandy.
All five school buildings in the district have power, though the administration building does not, but travel conditions and power outages are still an issue in parts of Pearl River and the rest of Rockland County.
Pearl River Interfaith Pot Luck Sunday
The Pearl River Interfaith Council is holding a potluck dinner at Pearl River United Methodist Church 6 p.m. Sunday. The event is free and open to the community. Those with power are asked to bring a dish to share. Those without are invited to just bring themselves.
Andy K Foundation Fundraiser Postponed
The 13th Annual Andy K Foundation fundraiser at the Pearl River Elks Club was pushed back a week, from Nov. 3 to Nov. 10.
Pearl River Sports
All Section 1 sporting events were postponed this past week.
The Pearl River girls soccer team's Section 1 Class A quarterfinal game at home against Eastchester, which has been postponed twice, has been rescheduled for 2:30 p.m. Monday Nov 5 at PRHS. The tentative plan for the rest of the tournament is for the semifinals to be played Tuesday and the finals Wednesday.
The Section 1 boys and girls cross country championships at Bowdoin Park have been rescheduled for Tuesday, Nov. 6.
The Pearl River football team's season came to an end when Section 1 ruled that all non-playoff football games would be canceled.
More Pearl River Stories on Patch
For more on places like the Pearl River Public Library and Jane on Main opening up to the community, read this story.
To find out about the community reaching out to help the family of Jeff Chanin, the Pearl River man who was killed when a tree fell on his home during Hurricane Sandy, go here.
The SAT exam will be administered as planned 7:45 a.m. this morning at Pearl River High School.
The Pearl River Chamber of Commerce rescheduled trick or treating at downtown Pearl River businesses for today from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m.
Some other updates from around the area:
- Orangetown Town Hall is still open as a comfort station with free public wifi, bathrooms and power for re-charging phones from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. weekdays and 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday and Sunday.
- No transit fares collected for all rides on all TOR, TZx and TRIPS services thru end of service on Sunday, November 4, 2012. The County is providing emergency based transportation for those that need to travel to the Red Cross Emergency Shelter located at RCC. Call 845-364-8747 to inquire.
- Orange and Rockland will be distributing dry ice Saturday at Rockland Lake State Park, 299 Rockland Lake Road, Valley Cottage, in the North Parking Lot from 11am to 1pm.
- Cable Beverages—"Just letting you know that we are open for business. We sell ice as well as beer and water."—(845) 623-7645 | 176 Route 304, Nanuet, NY 10954—4 p.m. Friday
- The drawing and HGTV sweepstakes event at Leader Carpet has been postponed.
- Arcade2Go Tournament at Palisades Center is back on for Saturday
- The Spring Valley Rotary 1st annual Poker Run committee has decided to postpone our event until the Spring. (date to be determined).
- For Spring Valley residents who need health care in the aftermath of the storm, Refuah Health Center is currently open and offering a full range of primary care services at their two locations in Spring Valley: 728 N. Main Street and 5 Twin Avenue. All patients are welcome and will be served regardless of their ability to pay. Even with power outages in Spring Valley, Refuah has been able to continue to offer services through four of their mobile medical vans at the their site on N. Main Street and their Twin Avenue health center, which had power stored quickly. Contact: Chanie Sternberg, Preseident and CEO at845-216-9300 or Nechama From at 845-558-4709.
- The New York Sports Clubs that are open are allowing people to come in for showers and to charge up, according to a NYSC rep
- An initiative has been taken to create a North Rockland Disaster Recovery Fund through The Rockland Community Foundation. This Fund has been started to help the residents of North Rockland who have been devastated by Sandy. Rockland Community Foundation http://www.rocklandgives.org/
- Meals on Wheels had to cancel the Wags for Wheels dog walk for this Sunday due to the hurricane situation. They hope to reschedule the walk in the spring
- Religious School classes at Beth Am Temple will follow our regular schedule this Sunday (November 4). Please note that as of Friday morning, the Temple does not have heat. Please send your children wearing warm clothing and jackets. If bringing your child to school causes you any difficulty due to the impact of Hurricane Sandy, realize that while attendance is encouraged, it's optional for this Sunday. The Temple has internet access and electrical outlets where you can charge your electronic devices, so we invite parents inside for these amenities as well as for light snacks and hot drinks that will be available.
- Due to the effects of Sandy, Keep Rockland Beautiful's Annual Awards Gala has been rescheduled to Friday, December 7th, 7-10pm at the Rockland Country Club. If you have purchased a table and are bringing guests or if you know of any guests who may not be on our e-mail list, please notify them of this change. Please call Keep Rockland Beautiful at (845)708-9164 if you have purchased tickets but will not be able to attend on this new date. The Gala promises to be a terrific night! We will be honoring individuals and organizations who have contributed to keeping Rockland beautiful (see list below). Enjoy music by The Richard Sussman Trio. We have over 60 wonderful raffle and silent auction items.