The two Pearl River Board of Education seats currently held by Board President Robert V. Davis and past President Michael T. Clohessy will be on the ballot May 21.
Davis and Clohessy will be seeking re-election for a term that runs from July 2, 2013 to June 30, 2016.
Qualified candidates must turn in petitions signed by at least 41 qualified voters in the Pearl River School District to the district clerk's office by 5 p.m. April 22. They can pick up blank petitions from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays at the district clerk's office in the administration building at 135 West Crooked Hill Road in Pearl River.
The following are necessary to qualify as a candidate:
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Must be a United States citizen
- Must be able to read and write
- Must be a qualified voter in the district
- Must have been a district resident for at least one year prior to the election
- Must not have a family member on the board of education
- May not be an employee of the school district
- May not hold another, incompatible public office
- May not have been removed from a district office within a year of the election
April 22 is also the deadline for petitions to put a citizen-initiated item on the May 21 balot. Those require 103 signatures.
For more information, contact District Clerk Mary Flanagan at email@example.com or (845) 620-3924.