Retired Pearl River High School Coach and Athletic Director Tommy Doherty uses outside rankings, standings, strength of schedule, head-t0-head play and his own experience to rank the varsity athletic teams in Rockland County.
The rankings are not just within each sport, but comparing the teams in every sport currently playing. Doherthy's Dandy Dozen currently includes teams in softball, track, tennis, lacrosse and baseball baseball -- with the undefeated Pearl River softball team (10-0 heading into today's game at Clarkstown South) at No. 1. These rankings include 85 varsity sports teams in Rockland County.
The poll below includes records through May 5, which is week five for the Dandy Dozen in spring sports, which includes comments from Doherty.
DOHERTY'S DANDY DOZEN
Rockland County Spring Sports
(The number in parenthesis indicates Poll #4 Ranking)
#1 Pearl River Softball, Coach Mike Carlacci-Record: 10-0 (#1)
- NYSSCOGS Poll--#1 in state Class A
- Key victory over tough Clarkstown North (2-0)
#2. North Rockland Softball, Coach Jackie DiNuzzo-Record: 8-0 (#2)
- NYSSCOGS Poll--#4 in state Class AA
- Major test coming this weekend in the Morabito Tournament.
#3. North Rockland Boys Track, Coach Gene Dall-Record: 4-0 (#3)
- Clinches another undefeated Dual Meet League Championship with a record of 4-0
#4. North Rockland Girls Track, Coach Brian Diglio-Record: 4-0 (#4)
- Won hard-fought league championship meet against Suffern (194-182)
#5. Clarkstown North Boys Tennis, Coach Alan Schwartz-Record: 12-0 (#5)
- Two wins (6-1) & (4-3) over previously-unbeaten Suffern to claim Rockland's top spot in tennis.
#6. Suffern Girls Lacrosse, Coach John Callanan-Record: 11-2 (#6)
- Pulled out tough victory over North Rockland (11-10) to remain undefeated in Rockland County.
#7. Suffern Boys Lacrosse, Coach Dave McNally-Record: 11-1 (#7)
- NYSSWA Poll--#24 in state Class A
- Among Section 1 teams, only Mahopac (23) is higher in the Class A state rankings.
#8. North Rockland Baseball, Coach Tommy Lynch-Record: 9-1 (#8)
- Scored 39 runs in last three outings to keep pace as Rockland's top baseball team.
#9-Nyack Girls Lacrosse, Coach Kathryn Perrella-Record: 11-1-1 (#9)
- NYSSCOGS Poll -- #19 in state Class B
- Faces rematch with Pearl River tonight.
#10. Tappan Zee Boys Lacrosse, Coach Jimmy Ardizone-Record: 10-2 (#11)
- Looking forward to May 14 battle with Nyack for Rockland Class B bragging rights.
#11. Suffern Girls Track Coach Jeff Dempseiy - Record: (3-1) 12
- Took North Rockland to final events in league championship meet.
#12. Suffern Boys Track, Coach Steve Dugandzic-Record: 3-1 (12)
- Finished second to powerhouse North Rockland in league championship meet.
HONORABLE MENTION SELECTIONS
Other teams rated this week by New York State Sports Writers Association (NYSSWA) and/or New York State Sportswriters and Coaches Organization for Girls Sports (NYSSCOGS)
Pearl River Girls Lacrosse, Coach Laurie Mayernik-Record: 7-2-1
- NYSSCOGS Poll--#13 in state Class C
Albertus Magnus Softball, Coach Carl Alba-Record: 9-2
- NYSSWA Poll--#15 in state Class B