Retired Pearl River High School Coach and Athletic Director Tommy Doherty uses outside rankings, standings, strength of schedule, head-t0-head play and his own experience to rank the varsity athletic teams in Rockland County.
The rankings are not just within each sport, but comparing the teams in every sport currently playing. Doherthy's Dandy Dozen currently includes teams in softball, track, tennis, lacrosse and baseball baseball -- undefeated Rockland County Boys Track and Field Champion North Rockland taking over the top spot from the Pearl River softball team this week. These rankings include 85 varsity sports teams in Rockland County.
The poll below includes records through May 26, which is week eight for the Dandy Dozen in spring sports, which includes comments from Doherty.
DOHERTY'S DANDY DOZEN
Rockland County Spring Sports
(The number in parenthesis indicates Poll #7 Ranking)
#1. North Rockland Boys Track, Coach Gene Dall-Record: 4-0 (#2)
- The most dominant team in Rockland this spring in any sport.
- Won the county championship last week by almost 100 points.
- Completed the Rockland Triple Crown sweep of cross country, winter and spring track titles.
- Can they top Westchester County Champion New Rochelle in the Section 1 Class A meet?
#2. North Rockland Girls Track, Coach Brian Diglio-Record: 4-0 (#3)
- Defended theri county spring track championship by over 30 points.
- Will they overcome state power New Rochelle for the Section 1 Class A crown?
#3. North Rockland Softball, Coach Jackie DiNuzzo-Record: 15-4 (#4)
- NYSSCOGS Poll--No. 5 in state Class AA
- Ended Pearl River's 23-game winning streak with a 3-0 victory.
- No. 3 seed, begin defense of Section 1 Class AA title vs. No. 14 Carmel today at home
#4 Pearl River Softball, Coach Mike Carlacci-Record: 19-1 (#1)
- NYSSCOGS Poll--No. 4 in state Class A
- Perhaps the loss to North Rockland is the best thing that happened to this team heading into the playoffs.
- They begin the defense of their state Class A title at home today against Nyack as the top seed in the Section 1 tournament.
#5. Suffern Girls Lacrosse, Coach John Callanan-Record: 16-5 (#6)
- Agonizing 14-12 loss to top-seeded Lakeland/Panas in Section 1 Class A championship game.
#6. Suffern Boys Lacrosse, Coach Dave McNally-Record: 16-3 (#7)
- NYSSWA Poll--No. 20 in state Class A
- Excruciating triple overtime loss to Lakeland/Panas (13-12) in Section 1 Class A semifinal.
#7. Pearl River Girls Lacrosse, Coach Laurie Mayernik-Record: 15-4--1 (unranked)
- NYSSCOGS Poll -- No. 25 in state Class C.
- Won first sectional crown in program's history. Now just one win away from state final four.
#8. Clarkstown North Boys Tennis, Coach Alan Schwartz-Record: 13-0 (#5)
- Another undefeated team in Rockland County.
- Lack of county and sectional team tournaments keeps Rams from being rated higher.
#9. North Rockland Baseball, Coach Tommy Lynch-Record: 14-5-2 (#9)
- Takes its No. 6 seed today to No. 3 Arlington to continue defense of Section 1 Class AA championship.
#10. Tappan Zee Boys Lacrosse, Coach Jimmy Ardizone - Record: 14-4 (not ranked
- NYSSWA Poll - Honorable Mention in state Class B.
- Completed best season in program's history with Section 1 Class B final four appearance.
#11. Suffern Girls Track, Coach Jeff Dempseiy - Record: 3-1 (#10)
- Strong second to North Rockland in county meet, league meet and dual meet season.
#12 (tie). Clarkstown North Softball, Coach Danielle Trainor - Record 12-5 (not ranked)
- Co-League American Division Champions with state-ranked North Rockland
- Seeded No. 6 in Section 1 playoffs. Will play at home today aganst No. 11 Scarsdale.
#12 (tie). Suffern Girls Golf, Coach George Kunzmann-Record 8-0 (unranked)
- Three-peat as county champion with a great round at the Minisceongo Country Club.
Teams On the Bubble
(In alphabetical Order)
Albertus Magnus Softball, Coach Carl D'Alba - Record: 10-6
- NYSSCOGS Poll - No. 24 in state Class B
Clarkstown North Boys Golf, Coach Paul Toscano - Rcord: 11-3
- Co-League Champions and only Rockland team with qualifier for state championships.
North Rockland Girls Lacrosse, Coach Greg Borchers-Record: 13-4-1
- Three of four losses came against Section 1 Class A finalist Suffern by a total of six goals.
Nyack Boys Lacrosse, Coach Eamon DePeter-Record: 13-4
- Won League championship
Nyack Girls Lacrosse, Coach Kathryn Perrella-Record: 14-3-1
- NYSSCOGS Poll -- No. 24 in State Class B
- Advanced to Section 1 Class B semifinals, losing to eventual champion Yorktown, 14-10
Pearl River Baseball, Coach Bruce Miller-Record: 15-6
- League champions
- Lost to Nyack, 6-1, in Section 1 playoffs.
Pearl River Boys Golf, Coach Doug D'Agostino: Record: 12-3
- Shared League Championship with Tappan Zee
- Will play for Rockland County title May 31.
Pearl River Boys Track, Coach Gilby Hawkins-Record: 5-0
- Undefeated dual meet and League 4B Meet Champions.
- Finished second in county meet.
- Can they defeat Harrison at home today in the Section 1 Class B Championship Meet?
Pearl River Girls Track, Coach Dan Doherty-Record: 5-0
- Undefeated dual meet and League 4B Meet Champions
- Finished third in county meet.
- Can they complete Section 1 Class B triple crown at home today?
Suffern Boys Golf, Coach Brett Badendyck - Record: 11-2
- Solid season with only to losses to undefeated Clarkstown North
Suffern Boys Track, Coach Steve Dugandzic-Record: 3-1
- Second to North Rockland in League and dual meet season.
- Third in county meet.
Tappan Zee Boys Golf, Coach Tom Cromer - Record: 11-3
- Shared League title with Pearl River.