The Dominican College men's basketball team charged into this week on a 10-game winning streak.
That earned the Chargers their first-ever appearance in the NABC/Division II Men's Basketball Poll, coming in at No. 25 when the national rankings were released Tuesday.
The 10-game winning streak included a 67-63 victory at home over No. 22 Franklin Pierce Jan. 7 in the James Clancy Memorial Tournament. Dominican had been undefeated in conference play until Bloomfield College snapped the streak last night, 69-68, to drop the Chargers' record to 13-3, 7-1 in the Central Atlantic Collegiate Conference.
Forward Cory Quimby, who passed 1,000-point mark for his career earlier this season, leads the Chargers with 15.0 points and 10.7 rebounds per game. Guard Leon Porter averages 14.5 points per contest.
Freshman guard Joe Clinton of Pearl River is averaging 2.9 points and 16.9 minutes per game as a reserve.
Dominican College Women's Basketball Update
The Dominican College women's basketball team lost, 56-54, at Bloomfield College Tuesday to drop its record to 9-6 overall, 6-2 in the CCAC.
Leading scorer K.J. Jentzen of Pearl River (Nanuet H.S.) who averages 13.6 points per game, was held to only six. Bianca Harris led the Chargers with 18.
The loss snapped a three-game winning streak by Dominican.
RCC Sports Hall of Fame Dinner
Three new members of the Rockland Community College Sports Hall of Fame will be honored at the annual dinner 7 p.m. Saturday at the Italian-American Social Club in West Haverstraw.
- Emil Willis, Coach and Professor, Physical Education
- Chris Lemonis '93, Baseball
- Tim O'Brien '88, Basketball
The Athletic Department will giuve the Dr. Cliff L. Wood Service Award to Fred Greenberg of Suffern, NY for exemplary community service.
For more on the event and the inductees, click here.
- Pearl River bowling vs. Suffern at Pearl River Lanes, 3 p.m.
- Pearl River ice hockey vs. Nyack/Tappan Zee at Palisades, 5:45 p.m.
- Pearl River bowling vs. Tappan Zee at New City Lanes, 3:30 p.m.
- Tappan Zee at Pearl River wrestling, 4:30 p.m.
- Nyack boys basketball at Pearl River, 7 p.m.
- Pearl River girls basketball at Nyack, 7 p.m.
- Pearl River competes in Edgemont Wrestling Tournament, 9 a.m.
- Pearl River ice hockey vs. Irvington/Sleepy Hollow at West SK Academy 7 p.m.
- Pearl River boys and girls compete in Rockland County Indoor Track and Field Championships at the Armory, 3 p.m.
Share Sports Results, Pictures on Patch
Coaches, parents and other followers of Pearl River athletics, please send scores and information to firstname.lastname@example.org or upload your pictures directly to stories about games as they are posted on Pearl River Patch.
Don't forget this can include youth sports as well as updates on local athletes as they compete on the college level.