Kelly Hayes continues to lead the way as the Pearl River girls cross country team keeps on racking up victories.
Hayes finished first overall again Saturday at the 3rd Annual Six Flags Wild Safari Cross Country Invitational Saturday in Jackson, NJ with a time 17:49, the second fastest ever on the course. The Pirates won the Class D race and were named the top girls team overall for their average time of 19:14 for their top five runners.
The boys cross country team took second at the Maroon Invitational Friday despite sitting many of its top runners.
The Pearl River girls and boys teams will host a tri-meet 4:15 p.m. Tuesday against Nanuet and Clarkstown South at Pearl River Middle School. Nanuet is the Pearl River girls' top challenger in the league, but the Pirates have not lost a dual meet since 1990.
More Weekend Results
- The Pearl River girls volleyball team lost at home to Albertus Magnus Friday, then played in the Clarkstown South Tournament Saturday, where Old Tappan (NJ) won the championship.
- The Pearl River field hockey team lost at Harrison, 5-0, Friday, then won at Clarkstown South, 4-2, Saturday. The Pirates are now 2-2-2 in league play and 2-4-2 overall.
- The Pearl River football team saw an early 14-point lead disappear on the way to a 21-14 loss at home against Beacon Saturday. The Pirates are now 1-3 on the season heading into Friday's 7 p.m. game at Class A powerhouse Harrison, which is currently ranked No. 2 in the state by the New York State Sportswriter's Association. Harrison defeated Tappan Zee, 49-14, this past Friday to remain undefeated at 4-0.
Pearl River High School will be very busy just after school today with four varsity contests scheduled at home. That includes a boys soccer game on the upper field against Pelham, a Class A section semifinalist a year ago.
The Pearl River girls soccer team has the lone road game. The full schedule is as follows:
- Girls soccer at Tappan Zee, 4 p.m.
- Girls tennis at home aginst Albertus Magnus, 4 p.m.
- Girls volleyball at home against Nyack, 4:15 p.m.
- Field hockey at home against Byram Hills, 4:30 p.m. on the lower field
- Boys soccer at home against Pelham, 4:30 p.m. on the upper field.
Share Sports Results, Pictures on Patch
Coaches, parents and other followers of Pearl River athletics, please send scores and information to email@example.com or upload your pictures directly to stories about games as they are posted on Pearl River Patch.