The Dominican College men's basketball team may have fallen out of the national rankings last week, but the Chargers keep on winning.
A 10-game winning streak pushed Dominican (16-3 overall, 10-1 in the CCAC) into the NABC/Division II National Men's Basketball rankings for the first time in school history Jan. 15.
The Chargers lost a one-point game that night at Bloomfield College and dropped out of the next rankings Jan. 22, but rebounded to win three consecutive games since.
The Chargers have won 13 of their last 14 games heading into their game 8 p.m. tonight at Caldwell College. They will return home to play Nyack College (3-14) 8 p.m. Thursday in the second half of a women's/men's basketball double-header.
Senior guard Leon Porter leads Dominican in scoring with 14.6 points per game, just ahead of senior center Cory Quimby's 14.4 average.
Veteran Chargers Head Coach Joe Clinton turns to a familiar face to give Porter some rest. His son, Pearl River High School graduate Joey Clinton, is averaging 2.4 points and 15.9 minutes per game as a freshman.
The Dominican College women's team (12-6, 9-2) also takes a three-game winning streak into tonight's game at Caldwell, which is a 6 p.m. start. The Chargers are currently third in the CCAC, having won six of their last seven games. They play 6 p.m. Thursday at home against Nyack College (0-17).
Junior forward KC Jentzen of Pearl River, a Nanuet High School grad, leads the Chargers in scoring with 13.8 points per game and pulls down 7.9 rebounds per contest, second on the team.
- Pearl River bowling vs. Clarkstown at Hi-Tor, 3:30 p.m.
- Pearl River boys basketball at home against Nanuet, 4 p.m.
- Pearl River girls basketball at Nanuet, 4 p.m.
- Pearl River ice hockey vs. Suffern at Sport-O-Rama, 8:30 p.m.
- Pearl River bowling vs. Nanuet at Pearl River Lanes, 3:30 p.m.
- Pearl River boys and girls track and field compete in MET Invitational at The Armory, 4:30 p.m.
- Pearl River girls basketball at home against Albertus Magnus, 4 p.m.
- Pearl River boys basketball at Albertus Magnus, 5:30 p.m.
- Pearl River boys and girls track teams compete in Suffern Invitational at RCC, 4:30 p.m.
- Pearl River wrestling competes in Divisionals at Mahopac, 9 a.m.
- Pearl River boys basketball at home against Spring Valley, noon
- Pearl River girls basketball at home against Floral Park, 2 p.m.
- Pearl River ice hockey vs. Scarsdale at Sport-O-Rama, 7 p.m.
Share Sports Results, Pictures on Patch
Coaches, parents and other followers of Pearl River athletics, please send scores and information to firstname.lastname@example.org or upload your pictures directly to stories about games as they are posted on Pearl River Patch.
Don't forget this can include youth sports as well as updates on local athletes as they compete on the college level.