The Pearl River football team rallied to take a second-half lead and showed flashes of potential on both sides of the ball, but it was not enough as the , in Saturday's Homecoming game.
Pearl River's offense actually outgained Hendrick Hudson's, 298-265, mostly on the passing arms of juniors Chris Van Houten and Rob Gullo. Van Houten returned from missing one game with a concussion to throw for 233 yards, one touchdown and two interceptions. When he left early as a precaution after a late hit on the sideline, Gullo threw a 42-yard touchdown on his only attempt.
Pearl River finished the regular season 1-6 and will play Ossining Saturday, Oct. 27 at home in a cross-scheduled game.
Pearl River Runs First at Coaches' Invite
Junior Kelly Hayes finished first overall and the Pirates won the team title in the girls race No. 2 in the Section 1 Coaches Cross Country Invitational Saturday at Bowdoin Park in Wappinger Falls, which will be the site for the Section championships Nov. 2.
Full results from the meet can be found here.
Hayes won the 5K race in 19:31.63. Teammate Catherine Rayward, a sophomore, finished fourth.
League 4B teams turned in an impressive performance in the girls races. Tappan Zee won race one with junior Erin Jaskot first overall in 19:37.58. Nanuet, the League 4B champs, took the team title in race three. The Golden Knights placed three runners in the top four.
The Pearl River boys finished fourth as a team in race number three, with Ben McDermott fourth overall.
Pearl River Boys Soccer Drops One
Pearl River lost, 2-0, at Nyack Sunday. The Pirates still have two games to fit in before Tuesday's deadline to complete the regular season and will play 4:30 p.m. Monday at home against Rye and 4 p.m. Tuesday at Albertus Magnus.
Last Thursday's game at Nanuet, which was rained out, will not be made up. The Golden Knights are playing as an independent this year, so that is no longer a league game.
- Nanuet at Pearl River volleyball, 4 p.m.
- Pearl River at Nanuet girls soccer, 4 p.m.
- Rye boys soccer at Pearl River, 4:30 p.m.
- Pearl River boys soccer at Albertus Magnus, 4 p.m.
- Pearl River field hockey at Fox Lane, 4:30 p.m.
- Fox Lane girls soccer at Pearl River, 4:30 p.m.
Section 1 Playoff Seedings
Section 1 will be holding playoff pairing meetings this week for boys soccer, girls soccer, field hockey and volleyball. The playoffs will begin later in the week.
The schedule by sport is as follows:
- Field hockey -- Seeding meeting Wednesday, outbracket games Thursday and first round Friday
- Volleyball -- Seeding meeting Wednesday, outbracket games Thursday, first round Friday
- Boys soccer -- Seeding meeting Wednesday, outbracket games Thursday, first round Friday
- Girls soccer -- Seeding meeting Thursday, outbracket games Friday, first round Saturday
Share Sports Results, Pictures on Patch
Coaches, parents and other followers of Pearl River athletics, please send scores and information to firstname.lastname@example.org or upload your pictures directly to stories about games as they are posted on Pearl River Patch.