Graduation hit the Pirates' offense particularly hard, with the team losing players who scored 37 of the team's 56 goal, and Pearl River was shut out in each of its four defeats during a 1-4 start to the 2013, falling to North Rockland, Byram Hills, Tappan Zee and Nanuet.
That made Jules Madigan's goal on an assist by Annie White about four minutes into Thursday's 3-0 victory at Nyack particularly important.
"It was nice to bounce back after some trouble we've been having," said Assistant Coach Kathryn Moore, who filled in for Head Coach Tim Peabody as he recovered from surgery Thursday. "It should give them confidence. They know they can do it. They just need to come out with that fire every game."
Madigan scored two goals and set up another by Kirsten McGarvey in the victory, She said the Pirates have had trouble finishing off their opportunities, so hopefully the three-goal outburst would help get them going.
Pearl River (2-4) will play its next game at home 4 p.m. Oct. 2 against Albertus Magnus.
More Thursday Results
- Field Hockey: Pearl River 2, Clarkstown South 2 -- Maggie Davan scored one goal and assisted on the other as the Pirates rallied from an early deficit to earn the tie. Courtney Ocasal scored a goal, Erin Dolphin added and assist and goalie Annie McBride made five saves for Pearl River, which is 5-2-2 heading into a home game 4 p.m. Monday against Suffern Earlier in the day, the field hockey team a bake sale as part of Pink Out for breast cancer awareness at the high school. The Pirates will hold a Play for the Cure game Oct. 8.
The Pearl River High School pep rally and bonfire is set for 7:45 p.m. tonight on the lower field. The event was cancelled last year along with all school extra-curricular activities the weekend after the passing of PRHS student Thomas Scognamiglio from bone cancer. The year before that, the event was restricted to the parking lot and the bonfire was cancelled due to rain.
- Girls tennis: Suffern at Pearl River (complete Sept. 12 match), 4 p.m.
- Boys cross country: Runs in Fordham Developmental Meet at Van Cortland Park, 4:15 p.m.
- Pearl River High School pep rally and bonfire at lower field, 7:45 pm.
- Girls volleyball: Pearl River competes in Clarkstown South Tournament, 8 a.m.
- Girls cross country: Pearl River runs in Wild Safari Invitational at Great Adventure in Jackson, NJ, 8:30 a.m.
- Football: Peekskill at Pearl River, 1:30 p.m.
- Boys soccer: Pearl River at Rye, 3:30 p.m. (note time change)