Albertus Magnus girls basketball Head Coach Pat Buckley did not dismiss Pearl River's defense as a reason for the Pirates' 68-53 victory over his Falcons Thursday.
He simply thinks there were even more important reasons for the outcome.
"Everybody talks about their press, but their offensive rebounding has really been their biggest strength," Buckley said.
That may seem odd given Pearl River's lack of size, but the Pirates (13-2) rely on boxing out and fighting for every rebound and loose ball.
"They won all the 50-50 balls today," Buckey said. "We rebounded in the first half. In the second, we didn't."
"I guess a big part of it is being athletic and aggressive and wanting the ball," Pearl River senior guard Marissa Scognamiglio said of her team's success. "I think it's being aggressive. Being tenacious on defense."
Scognamiglio's play at point guard helps. The versatile senior showed her ability to score (22 points) and rebound (a team-high nine) Thursday, but she is also a strong defender who has run the Pearl River offense since shifting to the point to begin last season.
"She plays really hard defense," Pearl River Head Coach Lorraine Moylan said. "She is very intense and so quick. She get to stuff you don't think she can get to."
- The Pearl River boys basketball team could not hold on to an early 14-point lead in a 62-59 loss at Albertus Magnus. The Falcons (13-2) had four scorers in double figures led by Jack Sullivan with 21. Kevin Degnan led the Pirates (9-6) with 24.
- The Pearl River boys bowling team clinchedits first Rockland County's Small School Division title with a 7-0 victory against Nanuet Wednesday.
- Pearl River boys and girls track teams compete in Suffern Invitational at RCC, 4:30 p.m.
- Pearl River wrestling competes in Divisionals at Mahopac, 9 a.m.
- Pearl River boys basketball at home against Spring Valley, noon
- Pearl River girls basketball at home against Floral Park, 2 p.m.
- Pearl River ice hockey vs. Scarsdale at Sport-O-Rama, 7 p.m.
Share Sports Results, Pictures on Patch
Coaches, parents and other followers of Pearl River athletics, please send scores and information to firstname.lastname@example.org or upload your pictures directly to stories about games as they are posted on Pearl River Patch.
Don't forget this can include youth sports as well as updates on local athletes as they compete on the college level.