In most cases, there will be play-in games the day after the pairings meetings and first-round games the day after that.
The boys soccer, volleyball and field hockey pairings meetings will be held Wednesday, with the girls soccer meeting Thursday.
That could make for a challenging scheduling day for Pearl River Friday. The Pirates won league championships in field hockey and boys soccer, so both teams could be at home for first-round games Friday. There is a chance the girls soccer team could have a home play-in game that day as well.
Pearl River Falls Painfully Short in Brown Jug Game
The Pearl River football team entered the season with high hopes. The Pirates were also excited to see the return of Tappan Zee to the schedule for the first time since 2010, setting up rivalry games at home two of the final three games of the regular season.
Both turned out to be losses by identical 14-13 scores, first to Tappan Zee Oct. 4 and then Saturday in the Little Brown Jug game against Nanuet. As the Pirates had against the Dutchmen, they had a six-point lead in the second half against the Golden Knights. Read more about the Little Brown Jug game here.
The home game drew a large crowd, with the 50/50 drawing raising approximately $1,000 for the Tommy Scogs Foundation, including the donation of the entire prize by the winner.
Pearl River (2-5) will play the first of two bowl games this weekend at Port Chester with the day and time to be determined.
More Weekend Results
- Cross Country: Pearl River's Brian Cook and Kelly Hayes each ran first overall in their respective races in the Section 1 Coaches' Invitational, helping Pearl River take first in boys and girls team standings. Cook ran the fastest time ever for a Rockland County athlete at Bowdoin Park. Read more here.
- Field hockey: Pearl River 4, Clarkstown South 0 --- Courtney Ocasal scored a pair of goals as the Pirates clinched the first league championship in the program's history. They completed the regular season with a 10-2-4 record and will likely open the Section 1 playoffs Friday.
- Volleyball: Tappan Zee 3, Pearl River 1 -- The teams raised money for the Susan B. Komen Foundation for Breast Cancer Research in their annual Volley for the Curematch.
- Note that this does not include playoff games because those have not been scheduled yet. The Pearl River football team will also play a game to be determined.
- Girls soccer: Pearl River at Blind Brook, 4:15 p.m.
- Girls volleyball: Byram Hills at Pearl River, 4:30 p.m.
- Swimming: Pearl River vs. Tappan Zee at South Orangetown Middle School, 4:30 p.m.
- Girls soccer: Pearl River at Clarkstown South, 4:30 p.m.
- Cross Country: Pearl River boys and girls run in the Rockland County Cross Country Championships at Bear Mountain, 2:30 p.m.
- Swimming: Pearl River vs. East Ramapo at RCC, 4:30 p.m.