Pearl River junior John Muldoon and sophomore James Kelly will compete in the semifinals at the Section 1 Division 1 wrestling championships 3 p.m. today at Pace University.
Both won two matches Saturday at Pace while Junior Rob Gullo (152 pounds), freshman Jake Kurzhals (113) and eighth grader Sean McGarvey (99 pounds) each won first-round matches before quarterfinal losses.
Muldoon entered the tournament as the top seed in a 120 pound weight class that may be the toughest in the section. If he makes the finals, he could face Ossining's Alex Delacruz in a rematch of last year's 113 pound title match that Delacruz won.
The semifinals will be followed by the completion of the consolation rounds, with the finals expected to begin around 6 p.m.
National Women in Sports Day Ceremony
The Pearl River Athletic Department will celebrate National Girls & Women in Sports Day at halftime of Monday's home girls basketball game against Nyack.
The game, which is also senior recognition day for the Pirates, will begin at 4:15 p.m., so the halftime ceremony should start at around 4:45 p.m.
Former Pearl River oach Brenda Sommerlad will be honored as the 2013 recipient of the The Lauren Buonocore National Girls & Women in Sports Day Award.
Previous Pearl River National Girls & Women in Sports winners are:
- 1990 Lorraine Moylan
- 1991 Kathy Scrima
- 1992 Della Haley
- 1993 Marilyn Falt
- 1994 Carmen Roberts
- 1995 Jean Cary
- 1996 Trudy Rogers
- 1997 Lauren Buonocore
- 1998 Josephine Mosella
- 1999 Mary Mulderig
- 2000 None
- 2001 Lisa Linehan
- 2002 Laurie Mayernik
- 2003 Noreen Apicella
- 2004 Arlene Kramer
- 2005 Jeanne Donnelly
- 2006 Lauren Daley Bell
- 2007 Julie Crowe
- 2008 Diana Gillule
- 2009 Jon Smith
- 2010 Patricia Flynn
- 2011 Marni Torgersen
- 2012 Marie Walmsley
- Pearl River competes in girls Section 1 Bowling Tournament at Fishkill Bowl, 9 a.m.
- Pearl River boys basketball at Nyack, 4:15 p.m.
- Pearl River girls basketball at home against Nyack, 4:15 p.m. (senior recognition)
- Pearl River competes in boys Section 1 Bowling Tournament at Fishkill Bowl, 9 a.m.
- Pearl River boys and girls track and field teams compete in Section 1 Class B Championships at the Armory, 4:30 p.m.
- Pearl River ice hockey vs. North Rockland at Sport-O-Rama, 8:30 p.m.
- Section 1 boys and girls basketball preliminary round games (teams to be determined
- Section 1 boys and girls basketball tournament first round games, teams to be determined.
Share Sports Results, Pictures on Patch
Coaches, parents and other followers of Pearl River athletics, please send scores and information to firstname.lastname@example.org or upload your pictures directly to stories about games as they are posted on Pearl River Patch.
Don't forget this can include youth sports as well as updates on local athletes as they compete on the college level.