With two grandparents passed away from cancer and two more that have battled it, Katherine Zoda has personal reasons for walking in the Orangetown Relay for Life this year.
"Both of my mom’s parents died from cancer and both of my dad’s parents had cancer," she said. She's a junior at and several of her friends and family are coming out to support her.
She's raised $120 so far; visit her donation page learn more about how you can help. This is the first time she's participating in this relay for life.
"(Fundraising) it’s going pretty well. I didn’t get to sign up since last night, but my entire family has been very supportive," Zoda said. "I’m excited. It’s going to be a lot of fun and it’s for a good cause."
Her team is called Nanuet YAC. Click on their names to visit their Relay for Life donation page:
- Sam Fein
- Allison Boyd
- Kathleen Baer
- Amanda Clark
- Billy Clark
- Shannon Davin
- Samantha Flynn
- Sam Kornblau
- Tiffany Ponsades
There are other groups from Pearl River and the rest of Orangetown. Zoda will join hundreds of people as they take to the Central Avenue Field in Pearl River for the Orangetown Relay for Life from 7 p.m. tonight to 7 a.m. Saturday morning.
Read more about thein this Patch article.
The Orangetown Relay for Life raises money for the American Cancer Society and recognizes people who have dealt with cancer, either through losing a loved one, helping a survivor or battling the disease themselves.
The teams and captains as of Thursday night were as follows:
- All For John (Linda Mahler-Castellano)
- Andy's Walk On (Noel O'Connell)
- Brest Buddies (Eileen Murphy)
- Bronx Bombers (Denis Troy)
- Girl Scouts of Pearl River (Caroline Reichert)
- Helen's Hope (Helen Wilson)
- High Hopes (Sue Hlawatsch)
- Kicking for a Cure OMM Soccer/WCFC/Buddyball (Kerry Beckmann)
- Nanuet YAC (Sam Fein)
- Pearl River Cross Country (Caitlin Lardaro)
- Pearl River United Methodist Church "Team PRUMC" (Kathy Rose)
- Raising Hope (Nora Reilly)
- Team Carolyn (Jeanne Sullivan)
- Team Mel and Stu (Ryan Buncher)
- Team Memorial (Carole Cass)
- Team Nicole (Danielle Murray)
- Team PRLL (Mike O'Malley)
- The MOB (Joan Bourke)
- YMCA Youth & Gov't - Pearl River HS (Charles Maze)
Luminaria candles are also available for purchase at the Relay for Life website and can be bought at the event Friday. They cost $10. The candles are meant to honor a friend or loved one who has been touched by caner. They will be placed around the track and lit as the sun goes down Friday.