Let Patch make it easy for you to get all the information you need in one place so you can be an informed citizen to make the best decisions for your family, the community and the future.
Don't forget to sign up for our newsletter, and check out the events calendar to make sure you don't miss a thing.
Monday, Jan. 20
- The annual Dr. King Birthday Celebration Breakfast begins 9 a.m. Monday at St. Charles A.M.E. Zion Church in Sparkill. Orangetown Supervisor Andy Stewart will be the keynote speaker. Sister Naomi Anthony will receive the Humanitarian Award. Chairperson of St. Charles A.M.E. Zion Church Trustees Sis. Andrea Sturdivant and Spring Valley NAACP President Willie Trotman will receive Service Awards. Find out more on the church website here.
- Join the Nyack branch of the NAACP for an interfaith commemorative service honoring the legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. 2 p.m. at the Pilgrim Baptist Church at 80 North Franklin Street in Nyack. There will be a sermon by Pastor Melvin J. Mungin of St. Paul's A.M.E. Zion Church in Spring Valley. Presiding Pastor is Isidoa Branch, Jr. of St. Philips A.M.E. Zion Church. The Rockland Ministerial Alliance Choir will perform.
- The Professional Baseball Instruction & Baseball Health Network 2014 Pitching Summit begins at 6 pm.. at the Sheraton Crosssroards in Mahwah, N.J. The event features former Atlanta Braves Pitching Coach Leo Mazzone, famous for his work with newly-elected Hall of Famers Greg Maddux and Tom Glavine and likely future addition John Smoltz. Cost is $29 per coach or player with group rates available. Find out more here.
- Session one of a two-part Defensive Driving Course begins 5:45 p.m. Tuesday in the Nyack Library community room at 59 South Broadway in Nyack. The second session is Thursday, Jan. 23. Pre-registration is required, as are both sessions of the six-hour course. The $23 fee is due at the time of registration. Find out more here.
- The Pearl River School District Board of Education meets 7:30 p.m. in the district administration building on Crooked Hill Road in Pearl River.
- The Orangetown Town Council will hold a workshop meeting 8 p.m. at Orangetown Town Hall.
- There will be a Conversation on the Common Core in the South Orangetown Central School District at 7 p.m. in the South Orangetown Middle School library. SOCSD Superintendent Dr. Ken Mitchell and Assistant Superintendent Brian Culot will discuss what the Common Core is, the reasons for its implementation, concerns and questions about it and how the district is handling it.
- The Carolyn Sullivan Memorial Foundation's annual Winter Get-Together begins 8:30 p.m. at The Saloon on Central Ave. in Pearl River. There will be drink specials and light fare available. The suggested donation is $20. The Carolyn Sullivan Memorial Foundation raises money to help families with children facing critical illnesses in the name of an eight-year-old girl who passed away from a brain tumor. Find out more here.
- Drop off unwanted, unused medications at Orangetown Police Headquarters at 26 Orangeburg Road in Orangeburg from noon to 6 p.m. The department holds Operation Medicine Cabinet every Saturday. Find out more here.