Pearl River just wrapped up a very busy weekend, but things don't slow down locally this week.
Let Patch make it easy for you to get all the information you need in one place so you can be an informed citizen to make the best decisions for your family, the community and the future.
Don't forget to sign up for our newsletter, and check out the events calendar to make sure you don't miss a thing
Monday, Oct. 7
- The Billy Kayser Memorial Foundation's 11th annual golf outing begins 9 a.m. Monday at Rockland Country Club in Sparkill. The foundation awards grants and scholarships in the name of Billy Kayser, a 16-year-old Pearl River High School student who died April 3, 2003. Read more about the event here.
- The Adult Learning Center of Rockland, a computer center for adults, hosted by Meals on Wheels Programs and Services of Rockland is accepting applications for the October/November 2013 session. October 7, October 8 and October 9 each mark the first day of a different six-week class on Introduction to Computers. Each program runs six weeks. Classes for each session are from 9:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. and are held at the Meals on Wheels building at 121 West Nyack Road in Nanuet. The cost is $75 per six-week course. For information or to sign up for a class contact the Adult Learning Center at 845-623-5467. Read more here.
- Learn how to prepare for emergencies at the Care Link program set to begin 7 p.m. Monday at Orangetown Town Hall. The South Orangetown Ambulance Corps Training Division created and coordinated the program with aid from the Nyack Community Ambulance Corp, Pearl River Ambulance Corp, Pearl River FD Ambulance, Rockland Paramedic Servicdes, Orangetown Police Department and Orangetown Fire Chief's Council. Read more here.
Tuesday, Oct. 8
- The RBA Regional Business Expo takes place from 12 to 5 p.m. at the Marriott Park Ridge Hotel at 300 Brae Blvd. in Park Ridge, NJ. Attend a day of networking, door prizes, cooking demonstrations, food samples, and new vendors. Visit the special sections devoted to the latest in technology, "Green" industry, and hospitality industry. Admission is free. For more information call (845) 735-2100 or visit email@example.com orwww.rocklandbusiness.org
- The Rockland Republican Women’s Leadership Council gathers at the Blauvelt Free Library at 541 Western Highway in Blauvelt.
- Rockland County Legislative Committees meet at 11 New Hempstead Road in New City. The Multi-Services Committee meets at 6 p.m., Planning & Public Works at 7 p.m., and Budget & Finance at 7:15 p.m.
- The Orangetown Town Council meets at 7:30 p.m. in Orangetown Town Hall at 26 Orangeburg Road in Orangeburg. Find the full meeting agenda on the Orangetown website here.
- The Pearl River School District Board of Education meets in the district administration building on Crooked Hill Road at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday.
Wednesday, Oct. 9
- A Fundraiser And Cooking Demonstration for the Rockland Chapter of the National Alliance on Mental Illness At Del Arte Restaurant is also a tribute to John & Rosemarie Carollo for their consistent support of the mission of NAMI. The evening, including an Italian meal costs $65 per person, including the wine. A comedienne will entertain. Call 845-359-8787 for more info and reservations. The fundraiser begins at 5:30 p.m. at Del Arte Restaurant on Mountainview Ave in Orangeburg.
- The Rockland County Legislature's Environmental Committee meets at 6 p.m. at 11 New Hempstead Road in New City.
Thursday, Oct. 10
- Grand Opening of The Shops At Nanuet with a ribbon cutting ceremony at 9:30 a.m. and the official opening at 10 a.m.
- The Rockland Community Foundation’s Annual Benefit is being held at 5:30 p.m. at the Hudson Water Club, which was hard hit by Hurricane Sandy. This year's honorees are Rockland's First Responders: EMS, Fire & Police volunteers and professionals. To purchase a ticket or an ad for the journal congratulating the First Responders, go towww.rockandgives.com or call Emily at: 845-947-8532.
- A Rockland County Executive Candidates’ Forum will be hosted and sponsored by the Nyack and Spring Valley NAACP and JAMCCAR. It begins at 6:30 p.m. at the Louis Kurtz Civic Center at 9 North Main Street in Spring Valley.
- Everyone's invited to enjoy "fun, food and Federation" at the Jewish Federation of Rockland County's Campaign Kickoff Party with live music by Bobby and the Israelites and guest speaker Avraham Infeld, president of The Chais Family Foundation and president emeritus of Hillel. It is being held at the Rockleigh Country Club at 26 Paris Avenue in Rockleigh, NJ at 7 p.m. Dietary laws observed; no minimum gift required. Sign up online at www.jewishrockland.org/events.
- The Our Town's Orangetown Candidates Debate will begin at 8 p.m. in Orangetown Town Hall. Hear from the local candidates running for office this November.
- The Pearl River Saloon is hosting a fundraiser to aid Melissa Demataris in her battle with Leukemia 9 p.m. Thursday. There will be karaoke, 50/50 raffle tickets and bracelets for sale. Read more here.
Sunday, Oct. 13
- The Mickey Sullivan Duathlon to benefit Team KJ begins 8:30 a.m. Sunday at Pearl River Middle School on Gilbert Ave. in Pearl River. Team KJ raises money to help find a cure for Huntington's Disease. Read more here.
- Nyack's Famous Street Fair will draw over 250 exhibitions to Main Street and Broadway in Nyack starting at 10 a.m. Sunday. There will also be an entertainment area for children in the Main Street parking lot. Read more here.