There are many ways to keep busy around Nyack, Piermont and Pearl River this weekend, and we're here to help you decide which happenings are for you.
Here are the details for four local events. Scroll down to the end of this article for information on a few more.
High School Football Scrimmages
- Where: Pearl River and Tappan Zee will be at Clarkstown South; Nyack will be at White Plains
- When: 10 a.m. Saturday, Aug. 31
- Cost: Free
- Description: Section 1's high school football teams only get one scrimmage this year and most of them are taking place Saturday. Local teams will test their preseason progress with as many as eight teams at one location. Pearl River and Tappan Zee will join Scarsdale and Mamaroneck for the five-team scrimmage at Clarkstown South. Nyack will be one of eight teams at White Plains along with fellow visitors North Rockland, Mahopac, Carmel, Eastchester, Yorktown and Rye.
- Where: Ridge Street in Pearl River
- When: 9:30 a.m. Sunday, Sept. 1
- Cost: Sponsor a team for $150
- Description: Up to 750 participants are expected for this family-friendly event. Organizers are asking participants for donations of food, beverages or gift cards. Money raised goes to support Lourdes Kids of Rockland, which takes young people with special needs on Easter week pilgrimages to Lourdes, France. For more information on Lourdes Kids of Rockland, go to their website at www.lourdeskidsofrockland.org.
- Where: South Main Street and Congers Road in New City
- When: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 1
- Cost: Admission is free.
- Description: There will be rides, games, bounce houses, food, vendors, arts & crafts and entertainment by the Bel-Aires Doo Wop Group and DJ Luigi at this event sponsored by the New City Chamber of Commerce.
- Where: Nyack Public Library at 59 South Broadway in Nyack
- When: 7:30 p.m. Friday, Aug. 30
- Cost: Tickets range from $15 to $25
- Description: Latin percussionist Mayra Casales and the CocoMama Band play original Latin music with Afro-Caribbean rhythms. To purchase tickets, stop by the library or go to the website here.