Read on to learn more about upcoming local events.
Pearl River Elks Hoop Shoot
- Where: Highview Elementary School in Nanuet
- When: Friday, Dec. 6 at 6 p.m. (Registration at 5:45 p.m.)
- Cost: Free
- Description: The Pearl River Elks will hold this annual free throw shooting contest for children ages eight to 13 (as of April 1, 2014). Proof of age is required. Participants attempt 25 free throws and the top boy and girl will get the opportunity to go on to district, state and regional contests. Find out more here.
- Where: Downtown Pearl River, with the wrap-up party at Emmett's Castle at Blue Hill
- When: Saturday, Dec. 7 at 2 p.m., with the wrap-up party at 6 p.m.
- Cost: $20 (does not include drinks)
- Description: The Pearl River Chamber of Commerce organized a the Santa Pub Crawl, which will send teams to nine participating bars in Pearl River. At each location, the teams will answer trivia questions or do a challenge, with the top scoring group receiving a prize. There will also be prizes for best individual costume, best team costume and ugly holiday sweater given out at the wrap-up party, which begins at 6 p.m. at Emmett's Castle. There will be free shuttle service from town to Emmett's Castle. Registration is at the Saloon or Luigi O'Grady's. Find out more here.
- Where: Veteran's Memorial Park in Orangeburg
- When: Sunday, Dec. 8. Kids races at 10 a.m. Santa 5K at 10:30 a.m. (Registration begins at 8 a.m.)
- Cost:Registration is $25 on race day. Kids races are free
- Description: The Orangetown Parks and Recreation Department organizes the 22nd Annual Santa Clause 5K run. There will be prizes for the top three male and female finishers in each age division. Age brackets include Jingle Bell (9-under), Elf (10-14), Reindeer (15-19), Snowflake (20-29), Gingerbread (30-39), Candy Cane (40-49), Eggnoggers (60-69) and Giftwrappers (70-plus). One change for this year is strollers will not be allowed. Find out more here.
- Where: Emmet's Castle at Blue Hill
- When: Sunday, Dec. 8 at 2 p.m.
- Description: There will be music, raffles and auctions at this benefit for the family of John O'Hara of Pearl River, who passed away suddenly in August. O'Hara had a wife and five children ranging in age from nine to four. Find out more here.