Saturday alone also features the assembly of the new playground at Franklin Avenue Elementary School, the Pearl River High School football team's first Orange Bowl game with Tappan Zee in three years and the Tommy Scogs Foundation Fundraiser. Volunteers from the Pearl River Fire Department will also be marching in the Nyack Fire Department's 150th Anniversary Parade, which begins at 2 p.m.
Sunday is not quiet either with the Town of Orangetown Open House at town hall in Orangeburg and the JRDF Walk to Cure Diabetes on Pfizer's Pearl River campus.
So read on for a breakdown of many of this weekend's activities and decide what you will be doing.
Pearl River Day Festival
- Where: Central Avenue and John Street in Pearl River
- When: Saturday, Oct. 5 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Cost: Admission is free. All-day activity wristbands for children cost $15
- Description: The Pearl River Chamber of Commerce organizes this annual event, now in its seventh year. Over 100 vendors are expected to line, providing shopping and food. There will also be live entertainment on and off the two stages, bouncy attractions, demonstrations, face painting, pumpkin painting and more. For more details, read this report on Patch.
- Where: Steps off at Castle Heights and winds through Upper Nyack, South Nyack and Nyack. Trophy awards will be presented at Empire Hook & Ladder Co. #1 on North Broadway in Upper Nyack.
- When: Saturday, Oct. 5 at 2 p.m. with trophy awards at 7 p.m.
- Description: The Nyack Fire Department will celebrate its 150th anniversary with this parade through three villages in the Nyacks. Pearl River will be among 31 other fire departments represented. The Grand Marshal is Everett "Smokey" Wanamaker, a 69-year member of Empire Hook & Ladder Company #1. Find out more about his ride for the parade in this report on Patch. The line of march is available on the Nyack Fire Department website here.
- Where: Pearl River High School
- When: Saturday, Oct, 5 at 3 p.m.
- Cost: Admission is free. Concessions available
- Description: Rivals Pearl River and Tappan Zee will battle for the Orange Bowl for the first time since 2010. The teams met twice that season, with Tappan Zee winning both.
- Where: Pearl River Elks Club in Nanuet
- When: Saturday, Oct. 5 from 7 p.m. to 11 p.m.
- Cost: $100 per ticket for adults over 21. $50 per ticket for 21 and under, food and beverages only.
- Description: This event features musical performances by Joe D'Urso & Stone Caravan, Tim O'Donohue & the TMU Band and Roddy Harrington. There will also be a silent auction and a raffle with two tickets to Super Bowl XLVIII as the grand prize. The Tommy Scogs Foundation is a 501c3 charity formed in the name of Thomas Scognamiglio, a 16-year-old Pearl River High School student who died in October of 2012 from Osteosarcoma, a cancerous bone tumor. To find out more about the event, read this report on Patch.
- Where: Orangetown Town Hall at 26 Orangeburg Road in Orangeburg
- When: Sunday, Oct. 6 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Cost: Free
- Description: Learn more about the workings of the Town of Orangetown at this annual event. There is a tour of the Orangetown Police Department, which includes the radio room, jail and the new Emergency Operations Command Center. There will also be a demonstration of how the sewer treatment plant works. Orangetown Supervisor Andy Stewart will discuss the town's 2014 budget at 1 p.m. In addition to town employees, there will be representatives of emergency service and volunteer agencies. The event closes with a memorial ceremony in the town hall lobby in honor of deceased Police Officers Thomas Kennedy, Michael Reedy and Waverly Brown and Sergeant Edward O'Grady.
- Where: Pfizer's Pearl River Campus at 401 North Middletown Road in Pearl River
- When: Sunday, Oct. 6 at 9 a.m.
- Description: The Northern New Jersey and Rockland County Chapter of the JDRF raised nearly $1 million a year ago and hope to surpass that number this year. In addition to the 5K walk, there will be entertainment, games and lunch available. For more information, contact Kristen Hepsen at email@example.com.